Support & useful info

There is support out there but sometimes you just don’t know where. Hopefully these links may help. Some are local with contact detail specific to the St Helens area, whereas other are national.

St Helens Local Offer

The local offer details all the support and courses offered in our local area.

By law, every local authority has to publish information about what services are available in their local area for parents, children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes information about education, childcare, leisure activities etc.

01744 675615
31-35 Baldwin Street, St Helens, WA10 2RS
Opening Times:
Monday 9.30am-4.00pm
Tuesday 9.30am-4.00pm
Wednesday 9.30am-8.00pm
Thursday 9.30am-4.00pm
Friday 9.30am-4.00pm

The Carers Centre can help you with benefit advise, Carers assessments, training courses, emotional support… check out their website or drop in to find out all the services they offer.



Listen4Change is the St Helens Parent Carer Forum. The Forum is very informal and meets in the daytime and evening 8 times a year. The Forum is open to all parent carers within the St. Helens area.

Latest Newsletter

Glossary of Terminology

Timetable of parent carer/childrens clubs, groups & activities

Dr Russell A Barkley 30 Essential ideas you should know about ADHD. This is an American doctor speaking at a Parents convention. He explains ADHD and it’s difficulties in a clear and non patronising manner. This is a link to YouTube, there is about 2 hours recorded but it is definitely worth watching.


Cerebra is a charity dedicated to helping families with children with brain conditions. They have lots of helpful information eg  guide for finding financial help, lending library, conditions information, sleep service and advise. Email:

Cinema Exhibition Card (CEA)This is a cinema discount card for carers. Any responsible one adult who goes to the cinema with the child who has a disability gets in free. To be eligible the child or young person must be in receipt of DLA.  Application forms can be picked up from cinemas. Prove of DLA must be sent together with processing fee of £6 and passport photo of child. Please note children must be 8 years or over to be eligible

Merlin’s Magic Wand  – worldwide charity for children  arranging magical days out at Merlin Entertainments attractions, such as LEGOLAND Resorts®, SEA LIFE Centres and Madame Tussauds

Merlin Pass and annual passes for other attractions such as Chessington World of Adventures, Legoland, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, the London Eye, London Dungeons, Madame Tussauds, and Sea Life Centres can be applied for via the Short Breaks & Aiming High application form. The funding is only available to the eligible child.

EHCP Journey


IPSEA  – Independent Parental Special Education Advice is a registered charity  operating in England. IPSEA offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). They also provide training on the SEND legal framework to parents and carers, professionals and other organisations.


Special Needs Jungle has created a huge range of resources, articles and information for parents and carers of children with special needs, disabilities and health conditions to better enable them to navigate the special needs system.

IASS – St Helens Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) is a statutory service that was formally known as the Parent Partnership Service.

St Helens IASS provides impartial and confidential information, advice and support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parents.  The service covers all aspects of Education, Social Care and Health related to SEND.

A child/young person does not need a formal diagnosis; we can help if you feel there is a Special Educational Need.

St Helens IASS offers information, advice and support both before and after a child or young person has began the process for an Education, Health Care (EHC) Plan and to people that receive support without a Statement or EHC Plan.

Office open Monday – Friday, 9.30 am to 5.00 pm

Age Range: Children and young people 0-25 years and their parents.

Local offer:

For further information about meetings please phone 01744 822160 or e-mail or

IASS Leaflet

Contact provide information and guidance. They have helplines and online information on issues such as medical information, education, benefits and family life, and their parent resources cover a range of topics including health and social care services.

Driving and ADHD

ADHD is one of the many conditions listed on the website in Health Conditions and Driving.

It states that you may need to tell DVLA if you have ADHD.
You should check with your doctor if you’re not sure if your ADHD affects your driving and you must tell DVLA if it does.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving and you may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Travel and Medication

The Home Office has confirmed that travellers with ADD/ADHD can carry up to 900mg of methylphenidate based medication (Ritalin, Concerta, Equasym and Medikinet fall into this category) while travelling into or out of the UK without requiring a Home Office Licence. However, if you need to carry more than 900mg you will need a licence.
More details about drug licences can be seen here.


Think U Know is an education programme from the National Crime Agency’s CEOP Command. It aims to ensure that everyone has access to this practical information – children, young people, their parents and carers and the professionals who work with them.

Alongside the Thinkuknow website the programme provides educational resources, including films, cartoons and lesson plans, to help professionals raise young people’s awareness.


Not Fine in School has been created in reaction to the growing number of children who are struggling to attend mainstream school.

St. Helens Children’s Health Service Update August 2020

Click on the link for the latest update produced for Listen 4 Change by St. Helens Clinical Commissioning Group:

Attend Anywhere Appointment/Consultation System

Have you used North West Boroughs’ video consultation system, Attend Anywhere?

If so North West Boroughs want to hear about your experience. Your feedback is essential in helping to improve this newly developed system.

Please either call (01925) 664057 or email

Contact Information and Advice on Social Care Assessments for Children and Young People with Autism

Click on the link below for information on requesting an assessment:

Kooth Online Counselling for Young People age 11+

As shown at the virtual session on Anxiety and Mental Health, the link below is for the above service commissioned by St. Helens since March 2020. This is for young people age 11 to 25. It is not SEND specific but may be helpful for some of our young people and parent carers can support their people to use and access the services.

Quell Online Counselling for 18+

This has recently been commissioned in St. Helens:

Mind Ed

This free resource is aimed at both families and professionals.  It is suited for use by schools, children’s care homes, health professionals, social care, Grandparents, advocates and many more.  It offers specific modules around autism, learning disabilities and behaviour that challenges

Please share this resource widely to help families, wider workforce, volunteers and advocates to be best prepared and skilled to support young people with Learning Disabilities and/or Autism.

Taste Buddies

What is Taste Buddies?
Taste Buddies is a community-based group programme, run by dieticians, for parents/carers of children with restricted diets who are registered with a GP in the Knowsley or St. Helens area.
Using the latest evidence around restrictive dietary intakes and by consulting with experts in occupational therapy, speech therapy and specialist teachers we have developed a group to support your child’s needs.

Language, Autism and Social Communication Service (LASCS)

Autism Links